The Prodrive performance package is backed up by the recent installation of a six-speed Driver's ControlCentre Differential (gearbox type TY856WN4KA) fitted with an Exedy pink clutch. There’s no internal adjustment for the DCCD gearbox and it’s set to run with 70% of the power going to the rear of the car with the remaining 30% being sent forward.
Recent planned preventative maintenance includes a new camshaft drive belt and water pump at 88,000 miles, fresh Millers fully synthetic engine and gearbox oil and fresh brake fluid at 90,000 miles.
There are receipts on file for earlier servicing and repair work, too. The seller tells us that he’s an “owner who enjoys having things right”. A skilled home mechanic, he’s also experienced enough to know when something is outside of his skillset and needs to be commissioned out to the professionals.
All of which means it’s no surprise to see that it fires into life willingly and idles nicely. There are no warning lights illuminated on the dashboard either, and revving it produces that characteristic growl from the engine and exhaust we’ve all come to know and love.
The engine bay is a little tired but could be revitalized easily enough if that sort of thing bothers you.
The underside looks solid – certainly no MoT tester has ever commented on structural rust or corrosion – and doesn’t need anything doing to it other than continued care and regular pressure washing to remove the salt if you’ll be using it in the winter.
NB: Parkers defines a Cat C insurance marker as: insurance companies decided that, for them, the damage to the cars in this state, though repairable, aren’t cost-effective. It’s important to note that they factor more than just the parts and labour i.e. administration, into their equations.
So, the Impreza might have sustained a great deal of damage, or just enough to make it uneconomic to repair. We just don’t know.
However, the seller noticed a slight crease under the bonnet near the battery and that that front wing is a slightly different shade to the bonnet and the rest of the car, so thinks the Subaru’s Cat C status may be due to a “light frontal” accident.